This projections were prepared by the Analysis and Advocacy Project in Thailand, in collaboration with the Thai Working Group on HIV/AIDS Projections, and with funding support from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The present projections are an update of the projections prepared in 2000. While the projections were culculated with a model similar to that used in 2000, two new components including MSM and ART were added. These updated projections were prepared to support of the development of the Thailand 10th National AIDS Plan.
Insummary, the state of the HIV epidemic in 2008 is:
- 1,115,000 adults have been infected with HIV in Thailand since the start of the epidemic.
- 585,800 of these people have subsequently died of AIDS since the beginning of the epidemic.
- 532,500 people are currently living with HIV.
- 12,800 new infections will occur in the year 2008.
- 48,000 people will develop serious illness in the year 2008.
It needs to be noted that the number of new infections projected was based on the assumption that risk behaviors and STI rates remain unchanged from 2005 onwards. If changes in levels of risk behaviors or STI occur, the number of new infections will increase or decrease accordingly. More details of this book, please come to the College library.